Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

AFREEKA

Hello!!

Well after three flights and over 24 hours I am finally in Dar es Salaam!! It's completely unbelievable and totally awesome. Though so so hot. And because the women are expected to dress more conservatively I have to cover my knees and my shoulders. Which makes it even more hot.
The city is insane. People drive on the left which takes some getting used to, and the traffic is pretty bad. The main roads are paved but many of them aren't, and the taxis go all over the place to avoid the bumps. People kept on telling me about 'Africa time' and yes, things work on a completely different schedule. Today Janet dropped us off to get lunch while she picked up the other girl, Emily, from the airport. About three hours later we finally got picked up because our taxi broke down and there was a lot of traffic. But that just seems to be the way that life works over here.
One of the most surprising things is the amount of people around during the day. And they are selling everything imaginable, some from carts but some while walking around. Today we saw everything from suitjackets to food and lots of shoes surprisingly. We also saw some wild peacocks which was cool. Tomorrow we are going to the beach and hopefully meeting up with my friend Christina, who was actually my ra from freshman year. On the 7th we go to Zanzibar (and its my mom's birthday) and I will try to write again soon!!

Love,
Bridge

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! sunscreen sunglasses hat Love Dad PS No fruit from vendors. We'll send lawyers, guns, and money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're adjusting to Africa time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete